Saturday, April 7, 2007

On the Podium (Azalea Sprint Triathlon)




I expected big things at the Azeala race. I had my first race (MAP) under my belt and the Azalea is a short swim (300 yards). I did not feel great but I dug it and had a good time and great place. 3rd in the Age group.
On the advice of Mike Beaman (Bike fitting Guru at InsideOut sports), I tried something different. The pool was several hundred yards from the transition area and the bike was cut back to 10 miles so... "DIESEL TIP" - I rode my bike in my running sneakers (race flats) so that I could run faster from the pool to the bike and to cut down on the time for one shoe change. Mike's tip probably got me the podium but my calves felt like they were going to cramp up during the first mile of the run.
I also got to see my swim which was video taped. It is clear that I am going out too fast and suffering to bring it home. I was as impressed by how good I looked at the start, as I was with how good I did NOT look at the finish.
Even though I placed well, I think I could have had a stronger race. The award for the 3rd place was a GREAT sweatshirt. I have some fun races coming up but the next NC series race is White Lake and I will have my first open water swim of the year.
As for the standing, after Azalea I had the 8th highest average score in the age group

Check out this cool video

No comments: