Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Addiction (Finish Strong Sprint)


Last weekend's race was great and not for the obvious reasons.
When my alarm rang at 6:45am I was determined to stay in bed. I could hear the rain thrashing the roof and I was extra tired from being woken up by the thunder through the night.

I felt that the rain and cold provided enough "justification" for me to bag the race. So I rolled over and.... just laid there. I could not go back to sleep.... and I knew why. I had to race. No matter how bad I wanted NOT to race. I had to.....I think I am additicted!
. So I got and made the 15 minute trip to Wakefield to race. The race was a small race, less then a hundred people and it was short - 200Y swim, 11M Bike and 2.7M rune. But it was well run and I had a blast. Maybe not my best performance but I finished 5th overall and won my age group. Two pros, a women and man (Stacy and Dustin) finished 1 and 2 and humbled me with their times. Dustin beat me by 7 minutes and Stacy 4 minutes which is a lot for 54 minute race.

I guess the thing that most impressed me was that Dustin and Stacy went back out on their bikes in the rain to cheer every last racer home. It made me feel good about the sport and the people who represent it.

The rain held off and I had a fun race. I did lock up the bike coming into the transition area and slide for 10 - 20 feet but I did not go down. I felt great that I got out of bed, braved the elements and gave 100%.



No comments: