Saturday, March 24, 2007

Diesel Awards (Sportsplex Super Sprint)

The Sportsplex Supersprint was a great race. I finished 3rd Overall. It was a hilly bike and I had a strong ride. My run pace was 6:23 for 2 miles, for me that's flying. For more details see the Overall Mens Results.
.
The best part of the race was that 5 of my neighbors and friends did the race with me. In the honor I bestowed some "special awards" on them based on their participation.
.
(NOTE: after the awards were given and the results posted, Tim Giresi was stripped of the "Gary Zuckerman award for Deliberate Transitions" and it was re-award to Gary who spent 7:40 in transitions which was more then anyone else. It was longer then his swim segment! For everyone else a triathlon is Swim Bike Run. For Gary, it is Dress & Groom, Bike, Run. Rumor is that he hid a towel in the pool so he could towel off before going outside and that he bought clogs so he would not have to be barefoot on the cold pavement).
.
.
“Diesel Awards – Sportsplex Super Sprint 2007”

Outstanding Performance by a First Timer – Paul Barth
Despite renting a bike yesterday, he was the top place among Chatsworth newbies beating Tim by 4 seconds. Tim, the slight burning sensation in your left buttock is from the spanking that Paul gave you. Note to Tim: get in the pool or Paul will own your right cheek at Riverwood.

Outstanding Effort – Tim Giresi (pool swim)
There will be no debate on this, I was there. I witnessed it. Tim put out more effort in the 250M of pool swim than most Ironmen do in 140.6 miles. He really sucked it up, gutted it out and then rode himself back into the race.

Exceeded Expectations – Gary Zuckerman
We were all a little worried about Gary and the cold. I thought he might get hypothermia in the parking lot. By race time, more then a “Ground Swell” of people thought Gary had bailed and was hiding the car. He came out and kicked ass. After the race he declared “this was the greatest thing that I ever experienced that did not involve my penis.” His closing sprint was inspired. (Note: I reserve the right to revoke this award if it turns out Gary beat me in the run).

Gary Zuckerman Award for Most Deliberate (slow) Transition – Tim Giresi
You might think it would be fairer to wait for the transition times to be published before giving this award but I had to actually watch Tim’s swim to bike transition and it was painful for me so I am giving him the award (and what fun would it really be to give Gary an award named in his honor). Gary is the runner up for running the wrong way and falling off his bike.

Biggest Cheerleader – Dave “The Diesel” Babson
I cheered myself silly for all of you. I thought of creative, obnoxious and insulting ways to motivate you. Kudos to me.

No comments: