Sunday, March 2, 2008

Prelude to Season II - a sub 20 minute 5K

I open 2008 with a 5K. Coach Lance (from Studio7 Multisport ) was not so thrilled about me breaking my long distance training to make time for a trip to "Pain Town" but I really felt the need to test the Diesel. The race went really well. It was a windy and moderately hilly course.

I knocked out the first mile in 6:08 and followed it up with a 6:12. Because of the wind, I drafted alot. I would run from one runner to the next in a series of surges. It really broke up the race and made it easy to concentrate. The third mile was a 6:30 but it was uphill and into the wind. I stayed pretty strong and then put in a solid kick to the finish.

I ended up 26th overall out of almost 500 and was 2nd in my age group: Results . The race gave me some confidence going in to the first triathlon this year (3/8 - Azalea). However, I felt the effects of the intense effort for about a week after the race.... In the end, I am glad I did the race and it made me optimistc for the upcoming season.

This year will be different then last year. Last year I raced everwhere I could, mostly sprints, a few internationals and one half; 15 races total. This year I am going to do the Azalea and MAP Sprints in March to get some series points and then focus on doing well at the White lake half. This is my big race and I would like to go sub 5 hours. After White Lake I am going to decided whether to step up to the Iron distance. If so I will race sparingly and focus on the Iron. I still need to get a couple more race in the NCT Series so I will have five point races.

I have dropped another 7lbs and I am hoping to take it another level in 2008!

No comments: