Monday, March 31, 2008

2008 MAP Sprint - After a Killer Meal the Diesel is the Real Deal

I finally stood on the top rung; won my age group and was 25th out of the 500+ that raced ( Results ). The whole weekend started when my friend Rich "The Outlaw" Redding and I arrived at Coach Lance's house for our "night before the race" meal. Coach Ann (Lance's Wife) served us the same meal that Lance ate before he destory the field at Lake Norman: Wheat Pasta, Homemade Sauce, and Super Secret Meatballs (a.k.a. "the balls"). Ann would not tell me what was in the performance-enhancing meatballs just in case I am ever called to testify along side Barry and Roger; I can claim that I just eat what my Coach tells me.

I have to confess that the Male 40-44 field was not the strongest. Some of the big guns were not in Charlotte for the weekend but I did manage to beat a few guys who normally (or always) finish ahead of me. And I suppose I need to mention that I was able to take Round #1 from my friend and training partner, Mark Kauffmen. After months in the pool, even with a weak swim, I was able to take away some of Mark's head start in the water. Mark did send me a message - with his 11th ranked 18:25 run - I still need to pick up my game. I am not so confident about how I will match up against him in the international distance which sports a longer swim and a 10K run. I am going to have be ready for Round #2.

As I mentioned, the swim was not what I had hoped for. The day before I did a "pace test" and easily nailed a 7:26 (:10 seconds faster then I have ever swum a 500) but on race day all I could manage was 8:00. I was not relaxed and I think I kicked too hard because by lap #4 (of 10) my legs started going numb. I struggled through the rest of the swim but I did manage to keep my head together. I was able to remain composed, finish the swim and crank up the Diesel. I pedaled the first part of the course at almost 27 mph but then we turned uphill and into the wind and I finished up with an average just under 23 mph (15th fastest bike). I started the run, I let my legs come back to me and I held a pretty strong pace, I finished with a 20:12.

Diesel Tip - Coach Lance said my stride was way to long. I need to shorten my stride and increase my turn over. I tried this today on the treadmill and had some success. My heartrate was higher but my legs felt fresh and crisp.

If I can drop a minute on the swim and a minute on the run, I will be a force to be reckoned with. But that is going to have to wait. The White Lake Half Ironman is next (May 3rd) and I need to focus on the long distance stuff. The Duke Half was a good race last year but my run was slow (9 minute miles). I have to get to a point where after swimming for 35+ minutes and biking for 2 and half hours, I can still hold sub 8 minute miles.... I have some work to do.

Using my calculator I am estimating a score of .815 for this race. This is my highest score ever, even though the race factor was only .90. However, my score was helped by the fact that several elites got lost on the bike ride. Oh well, I will take it anyway I can, a .8 is .8!

One last thing.... Lucky your next!

1 comment:

Lucky said...

Should be fun my competitive brother. Go really, really hard on the bike and see if you can hold on for a 1/2 marathon. I will be back there gaining somewhere. Sincerely, your next victim