Sunday, March 9, 2008

2008 Azalea - Wind, rain, sleet or snow the Diesel delivers

I opened the 2008 season with a strong showing at the Azaela triathlon. It is short race 300Y swim, 9.2 mile bike and a flat 5K but the conditions were a little tough, the rain stopped but the wind was blowing. Last year I finished 3rd in my age group and 45th overall so I was determined to return to the podium.

This year I took my game to a new level. I posted a 2nd in my age group and tied for 20th over all. I lost to Ken Younts (my new Arch rival). I beat Ken at Riverwood last year and he took me at white lake. While I was off doing the Duke Half Ironman, Ken slip in another Endurance Series point race and bumped me out of first place in the overall age group standing. At the season championships, I was hoping to regain some honor but he spanked me by 8 minutes. Yesterday, he beat me by only a minute and half (not too bad). Message to Ken - move up to elites! your wife is an elite... move up and get off my podium spot! Anyway - congratulation to Ken. He is a great competitor and an even better sportman.


Well, let me break it down for you. The rain stopped but the wind did not. At the advice of Coach Lance, I left the new sub-9 disc in the van (I did run the 808 wheel up front). The decision was stressfull but once made, you have to move on.

Diesel Tip - Make ALL your race decision BEFORE the race: clothes, equipment, even strategy. Once made, just focus on executing. Making decisions during the race, like when to eat or what to wear, is a bad idea. Your judgement is not clear and it wastes time. Plan your race and then execute.

The swim went great, I warmed up before my swim. I had done at least 10, 300 yard time trials so I really knew what I needed to do. I was relaxed, I stayed in form and as I got tired, instead of swimming harder, I kept saying to myself reach, stretch, glide, reach,stretch glide. I swam a 4:24 which was right were I was expecting and I got out without feeling exhausted (last year my time was 5:05).


It is down a set of stairs and another 200 yards to the transition area. I always "Prewalk" the transition, memorizing and robotizing everything I need to do. So when I got to the bike racks, I headed straight for the rack which had the bright green tape on the end.... unfortunately two people had maked their racks with bright green tape. It cost me about 5 seconds and some panic but I was finally able to get to the right rack. My bike shoes were already on my bike, I did not do a running mount but I was able to start riding and put on my shoes while I was riding, overall it was a pretty fast T1 (I had planned for 2:00 and I clocked in at 1:57)

The bike course had lots of 90 degree turns but I managed to get the bike up to speed. I was actually at 23.9 mph until I turned into the wind and then my speed dropped to just over 23. I had the power meter on and I could see that even though I was slowing I was still putting out the HorsePower. I had a 269 watts for the ride which was pretty stout. I had hoped to do the bike course in 25:40 and I clocked in at 24:40, BUT, I think the course was about a minute shorter then last year. It had to be because all the elite times were much faster too. After a quick T2, I was off on the run. I felt strong and turned in a 20:46 but I never felt like I could shift into top gear. I was never really hurting but I did not feel like I could run faster. I wish I had run faster by 1 second and then I would not be tied for 20th overall.


One thing that was great about the race was that I rode down with some friends. Big Rich had a great race and won his age group. My other friend had been sick for the last year and this was his first triathlon so it was inspiring to see him come back and finish 4th in his age group. Lastly and unavoidably, I suppose I should discuss the new "no-do hair-do". Bald is not only beatiful but it is fast.... and I am both. -The Diesel

2 comments:

Lucky said...

Great job Big D. Can't wait to see you progress all season to the pinnacle of B2B in early November.

Your bald friend,
ML

Bobby Flanagan said...

I will be interested to see how you do against Ken throughout the season. He is pretty tough!