Sunday, August 24, 2008

Triangle Triumph

I am finally out of my White Lake slump. I have not put together the type of effort I want to since blowing up on the run at the White Lake Half. Last year, I did the triangle and it was my worst race…by a lot. So between my slump and last years race I figured I would just bag this years triangle. But then my neighbors and friends Mike O and Les M decided to signup (their second race) and my buddy Gary was racing and Mark K and Richard “The Rocket” Puckett were going to be there so I broke down and signed up and kicked ass!

I decided to throw caution to the wind and to bike as hard as I possibly could. I told myself I did not care if I was totally cramped up and could not run after the bike, I just wanted to bike as fast as I possibly could and not leave anything out on the bike course. I took the race wheels off the bike because they were rubbing on hill climbs and used my training wheel with the power meter on it. I knew the course was all hills so I wanted my powertap as a cheerleader.

I swam a 14:10 which was okay. Much better then I did at Tri Latta. I was not unhappy with the time but I knew that I had given up 3 or more minutes to my age group leaders. When I got on the bike and I hammered, really hammered. My average speed was high so I knew I was doing alright. When I turned for home I was averaging around 24 mph so I knew that I was turning it over which gave my a little extra mojo.

When I got to transition (T2) I had caught Ken Younts. I had no delusions of out running him but I knew I was having a strong race. I was a little worried when I started the run but the legs came back to me after 200 yards and I was able to hold a fair but painful pace. Unfortunately, in the last half mile David Kaats passed me and took fourth place by 11 seconds. I do not remember seeing him out on the course, at least it was not a podium spot.

I finished with a 1:11 which was six minutes faster then last year (and the swim course was a minute longer) I spanked Mark K (who was on the podium in his age group) and Richard “The Rocket” by a minute and a half. I was fifth in my age group and 35th overall but it was a large race and I was really happy with how I had done. To compare, last yea,r I was 114th overall!

Later that night I looked up my bike splits and I was smok’in fast. I was 7th fastest biker and was only 59 seconds behind – Cid Cardoso. I beat 11 elites on the bike. It was by far the strongest bike I have ever ridden. I was so happy about the race that the good feeling is still with me a month later.

Lastly, I had fun racing with Gary, Les, and Mike. These races are much more fun when you share the experience with people you know.


No comments: