Sunday, October 7, 2007

The Showdown (Pinehurst Olympic Distance)



Well Pinehurst was the big showdown, Mark Kauffmen, Richard Puckett, and Mark "Lucky" Luckinbill were all there.

It was my first Olympic (or International) distance race and I had modest expectations. The swim is only 400 meters shorter (1500 meters total) than a Half, while the Bike is only 8 miles longer (24.8 miles) then a Sprint and, honestly, I do not need the extra 5k (10k total).

But even with distances that do not play to my biking strength I still had a good solid performace.

I started a bit shakey in the water. I was not swimming straight. My mind (or the wind) wanted to turn me, so I had to keep lifting my head to site my line, I felt really constricted in the wet suit and I could not find my rhythm. I started to get some anxiety and two or three times I had to pull up and breast stroke. I guess that I had such a positive swim in the Half that I expected this swim to be easy and when it wasn't, I freaked out. I even swore this would be my last race...ever. I was able to collect myself and pull it together. I still had problems tracking but after I turned the first of the two markers I was able to get into a rhythm and swim home strong. I was out of the water in 28:40 and at the mats, which were a ways up the hill, in 29 minutes and something seconds.

The Bike course really did not suit me. The hills were not steep but they were long enough that I could not use the Diesel Power to keep things rolling. In a few places I really had to grind, so I did. In the end I had a strong ride. I rode just under 23 mph (depends on how exact the distance was). At around mile 15 I caught Mark Kauffmen and encouragingly told him that I would see him on the run (which I did) and then with a mile or two left I caught Lucky who started in the wave three minutes ahead of me. I ruled neither of these guys out because of their running ability.

I made a quick tranistion (without socks) and was passed by Lucky before I even hit the transition exit mat. He wished me luck and then slowly disappeared ahead of me. Only a few miles later Richard Puckett offered me a high five on his way by and then Mark Kauffman followed. Mark was quickly out sight but I managed to keep in site of Richard and at Mile 5 I passed him back. He offered some encouragement and I stepped up the pace. I was very happy with run. I average 7:29 and did it with negative mile splits: 7:26, 7:54, 7:22, 7:39, 7:16, 7:00. This means I closed the last 5k in 22:37 which is not two much slower then my 5K time in a sprint. I really felt solid and in control during the run. I still want to get better. I would like to run sub 7's next year. But it was a strong run for where I am right now. Oh yeah, and without socks I got some really bad blisters.

In the end, it was close. Mark beat everyone. Lucky made up the 3 minutes and beat Richard and I. I held off richard to claim the bronze. I should see Richard and Mark again at the invitational.

When the results were posted I finished 78 overall man out of 474. I was 12 in my class. I finished the season 10 in my age group for the series. Here is the NCTS final series standings

1 comment:

Lucky said...

Nice job Big D. Good race. I had a great day and a fun time. Good write up. Keep the rivalry alive!!!!