Wednesday, June 13, 2007

An Emotional Challenge (Woodlake Sprint)


I added woodlake sprint into my schedule because it fit nicely between the siz weeks that seperated white lake and tri latta races. Also, it was not a points race so I figured I could go and just enjoy racing.... but it was a tough race.

The swim was a wetsuit legal 600Y swim. I stayed relax and swam well, freestyle the whole way (no breast stroke). This was the first time I freestyled the whole open water swim. My time was not super (10:50) but it was an improvement. I got out of the water with a few people that usally beat me. Diesel Tip - When you swim in the open water RELAX. If you push to hard, even a little to hard, you will ruin the rest of your swim. There can be a lot of anxiety in the water. RELAX during the swim.


Unfortunately, after the swim things got tough. Maybe I was tired from "really" swimming. But I could not get the bike up to speed. People that I usally beat by minutes on the bike were passing me, the women that I passed in the water were passing me back. It was a tough first 6 miles. Finally the lights came on and I was able to crank it up. I passed most of the people that had passed me but I had lost a lot of ground. I really depend on the bike to put me of front and with the rough start it was not going to be my day. I had an OK run but I did not clock segment splits. I hope the next race goes a little better.
Results: 31/217 overall and 7th in age Group.

No comments: